Thursday, April 17

UFC 83...Serra vs. St. Pierre 2


UFC 83 Serra vs. St. Pierre 2 is this Saturday and I am getting more excited as the days go by. This card isn't the best card compared to recent ones, but it might be due to the fact that this event takes place in Canada. So there are a few more Canadian fighters other than St. Pierre willing to let it loose in front of their home country. This event is also expected to be the largest mma event in North American history.

Well not that a damn person cares out there, but I figured I would share my picks and why. So here goes.

Main Event
Matt Serra vs. Georges St. Pierre
This was probably the second hardest one to call for me. I have St. Pierre taking it by TKO in the third. I don't think this will be a stand up fight as much as the first. I believe that Serra can bring him to the ground and defend for more than two rounds. Only because he should be slick enough defensively not to get put out right away. But after a couple of corner fixes on St. Pierre's side, I believe he will finish the job. But man I think Serra's underdog status is exaggerated. St. Pierre will most likely feel weary of jumping in on punches now that he has been knocked out. To the ground they will go.

Rich Franklin vs. Travis Lutter
I have to go with Lutter on this one. He is a huge underdog, but I think the time is right for a win with Lutter. Rich has undergone surgery lately and his father died recently. Not that that will hinder his performance once his fight or flight reflexes kick in, but he might not be in the shape he needs to be in. Luckily Lutter isn't the most conditioned fighter historically. But I think Lutter will be looking for the sub and he just might get it. Lutter submission round 2.

Kalib Starnes vs. Nate Quarry
Oh man this one is difficult, but once again I have to go with my gut. I have Kalib for a number of reasons. Don't get me wrong I am a huge Nate Quarry fan. And his crazy great fight against Pete Sell last September showed me he was still a warrior even after a two year recovery period. But. After Kalib was completely dismantled in his fight with Alan Belcher on their feet, I don't believe he is gonna wanna test Nate's power. This fight is definitely going to the ground. Where Kalib will eat out a unanimous decision win.

Mac Danzig vs. Mark Bocek
Well, after Mac's impressive win over Tommy Speers in the TUF series finale, I have no problem picking him to sub a much less experienced Bocek. First round sub for Mac. I expect a good wrestling clinic though.

Michael Bisping vs. Charles McCarthy
This is just one of those pointless fights in my eyes. I'm not the biggest fan of Bisping after his attitude towards his controversial win over Matt Hammil. But, he needs to fight a bigger name to boost his reputation. Not that McCarthy isn't competition, but I don't think he is at the level of Bisping. A pissed off Bisping by TKO/KO round one.

Alan Belcher vs. Jason Day
Another Canadian with Day. And a fast improving Alan Belcher. Day has his latest win over a dwindling David Louisou, and his pretty submission vulnerable as well as having lost by TKO twice. I have absolutely no problem picking Alan Belcher by TKO/KO in the second. Yeah, I think Belcher likes to punish guys, maybe even the third.

Jason MacDonald vs. Joe Doerkson
Joe is just an inconsistent fighter to me. MacDonald is on that same boat. This one is pretty tough. And when I can't quite decide who has a strength in any particular category, I go with the decision. Jason MacDonald by unanimous decision. Because I expect him to be in better shape. Eh.

Demian Maia vs Ed Herman
No Canadians? This fight was the hardest one to pick. By far. Demian has never been beaten and he smoked my undefeated pick in Ryan Jensen out of Omaha way back. So I believe he is a tough cookie, especially on the ground. But on the feet, I have to go with Ed. But after brain racking this bastard of a fight for too long, I have to go with the BJJ champ. So Maia round two sub.

Rich Clement vs. Sam Stout
God what a fight this one will be. Honestly this is a tough one also. Sam is young and Rich is hella experienced. But both can out-slug a slugger. I think Sam being a Canadian, like many others, will give him some what of a boost in confidence. But Rich is for some reason prime right now. I am forced to go with experience here. Rich by sub round two. Either that or it's going to decision.

Jonathan Goulet vs. Kuniyoshi Hironaka
Okay. Jonathan Goulet in front of his home country is hard to pick against. So I won't. Against a tough decision fighter like Hironaka, I would expect fireworks and blood. But ultimately I must go with another decision. Uni for Goulet.

Cain Velasquez vs Brad Morris
Two virtually unknowns. Cain is inexperienced with only two fights, but both are knock outs so I figure he is a tough guy. Brad has eight more fights than Cain. But majority are won by decision. So he has good conditioning. Now since I found limited info on both fighters, I will go with a complete guess. Velasquez by TKO/KO round two.


And thats it. Anybody think otherwise. Comment!

Go to MMAPlayground.com to make your own picks and wagers.

No comments: