Monday, April 14

My Dream Fight?....Fedor vs. Sylvia


Yes. My dream fight. There must be another like me out there that wanted this fight years ago. And it never came because of the clash of business perspectives as well as those little "in between the lines" stipulations.

But I can understand. The amount of money that was to be made when these two fighters were at there peak in the two dominant organizations in the world.

Fedor Emelianenko was, and still is to many, recognized as the pound for pound number one fighter in the world. The Pride Fighting Championships heavyweight champion reigned for years stopping all competition. But has since fell short of fulfilling the needs of mixed martial arts fans everywhere by fighting less than suitable competition.

Tim Sylvia was, and still is in my opinion, a top four or five heavyweight fighter anywhere. Timmy has the capability to stop any fighter dead in there tracks and does extremely well neutralizing opponents with far better ground skills. Which is where the smarter fighters take him. Not only because they hope to be able to work him into a submission, but because standing with him is a mistake. Tim reigned the UFC heavyweight division in 2003 and 2006. But fell short to Randy Couture and Antonio Rodrigo "Big Nog" Nogueira as of late.

So why is this my dream fight? Why not Randy vs. Fedor or the "other" UFC heavyweight champ Big Nog again?

Well it's not that these fighters wouldn't be great to see. Randy is hyped beyond belief right now and is in another class with his experience and skill. Big Nog would be good to see now, because I believe he is a better fighter now then in Pride. Which is hard to say because he has fought around the world for years. I would only want to see these two fight again as long as it was in the cage. I don't want to see a fourth edition of a mauling.

But I won't give up on an old wish. I wanted this one first and until it happens I won't just move on as if this were the girl I wanted to take to prom but didn't have the guts to ask. Nope. I must fulfill my thoughts, doubts, predictions and never dying curiosity.

So we will find out come July! Hopefully! As far as Fedor's manager Vadim Finkelchtein is concerned, this fight isn't signed yet. MMAJunkie has got the goods on this issue here. Which pisses me off. Cause if we have to deal with another Fedor fiasco, I swear to God someone's going down.

And another thing, HDNet Fights is airing this one. I don't have HDTV, but I am sure it will be on PPV. Why wouldn't it be? It's the first real "superfight" in my opinion. Although Big Nog vs. Timmy was a bellyful of butterflies for me too. Haha.

No comments: