Wednesday, May 21

The Brew World....Global Warming=Expensive Beer


Not so fast.

Okay, I will be the first one to admit that I don't carry the recycling bin to the curb every tuesday night or take short showers. Nor am I gonna try and fit my "number two" left-overs onto one or two sheets of toilet paper. Although I do try and limit my excessive use for other reasons. Simply put....economics.

But there may just be an entirely new reason to slap a band aid on old mother earth.

Because she's gonna turn up the heat on Australian barley farmers which in turn effects the crops. So the climate change could spell disaster for brewers all around the world who depend on Australian and New Zealand barley crops. Especially for China according to climate scientist at New Zealand’s National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research, Jim Salinger.

A similar incident has happened before and is expected to happen again in the future. Here's a little sumsumpin from Realbeer.com talking about Jim's thoughts,

"His is a longterm prediction, looking 30 years out, although brewers around the world experienced the domino effect of a poor crop in Australia last year. China, which now consumes more beer than any country in the world, relies heavily on barley malt from Australia. When that wasn’t available prices around the world went up."

Well this should make it a tad bit easier for the average guy to think about how he treats his planet. I think I might just start recycling. And I suppose I could stop burning random trees for no reason at all.

This is truly scary though.

No comments: